This 17-year-old girl died because of “kissing disease”?
Stroke is a condition where some parts or even most of our body parts cannot be moved. There are various causes, such as nerve disorders and others. But, one of the causes of stroke that is rarely known is mononucleosis infection or better known as Kissing Disease.
Make no mistake, this disease can even make the sufferer die, as recently happened to a beautiful 17-year-old girl from Florida. She is Ariana Rae Delfs, who has to die because she is infected with ‘kissing disease’.
For information, Mononucleosis is caused by the Epstein-Barr virus, where Ariana previously experienced a sore throat and headache that would not go away for about three weeks, but her parents thought that her child only had the flu and the common cold, especially the child was still young.
However, because these symptoms never subside, Ariana was finally escorted to the local hospital. He underwent several examinations, including a mononucleosis test, but the results were negative. Shortly, Ariana began to vomit constantly, she also complained that she could not feel the presence of her feet.
At the hospital, at one time, Ariana intended to go to the bathroom, but apparently she could not walk as usual.
“She felt like her feet had just given up,” her father, Mark Delfs, was quoted as saying by the Daily Mail.
Then the doctor told Ariana’s parents that their daughter had a stroke, because there was a brain disorder that could not be cured.
“Her brain swelled to the point where she could not function and brain damage did occur,” continued Mark.
That is, the kissing disease that has infected Ariana is too severe, causing the person to have a stroke. Three days after being treated, Ariana succumbed to her illness and had to die.
Epstein-Barr virus is mainly transmitted through saliva, and kissing is one of the movements that can make us infected with the virus, which is why mononucleosis infection is called ‘kissing disease’. But other than that it can also be due to food or drinks used by others.
Usually, symptoms only appear after four to five days of exposure to the virus, including sore throat, fever, extreme fatigue, swollen tonsils, to headaches.