The two mighty sides Arsenal and Atletico would be facing each other for the very first time in the Union of European Football Association competitions. The match is scheduled on the 27th of this month at Emirates Stadium, and is considered to be a heavyweight contest between the two teams.
Arsenal has reached the last 4 position for the first ever time in the past 18 years. They are going to clash with Atletico, which are the two time winners. An interesting feature of this match is that, it will be the 102nd game and also the last European home game for Arsene Wenger, the manager of Arsenal, who earlier announced his retirement from the position, after 22 years at the post.
Some interesting facts about the two teams and the match
The 2 teams are meeting as the semi-finalists for the first time in the history of UEFA Europa League. Some noteworthy features about both the teams as well as the match are given below.
- Both the teams have had a close run in the second leg of a competition. Arsenal won by 6-3 against CSKA Moskva and the Atletico Madrid team pushing aside their rivals, Sporting CP by 2-1.
- Arsenal is the only British representative in the League, and they have won 4 out of their 6 matches to emerge at the top position in the Group H.
- Atletico were at the 3rd position in UEFA Champions’ League group but won all their 4 matches in the UEFA Europa League.
- The Gunners (Arsenal) managed to win only 10 out of 31 UEFA competitions till now. And they lost 14 matches. Their latest defeat is against Barcelona. They won 5 out of 9 two legged UEFA competitions.
- Atletico has won 7 of their 9 two legged contests. This includes the last 3, which should bring back their confidence. It is the only UEFA cup winners in the semi finals. In addition, they are the only one among the final 4, to previously play in the Europa League semis.
The not so impressive domestic matches of the Arsenal should serve as a booster for the team’s progression. This League is the last resort for them this season. But going by the social media posts and the reaction of fans, Arsenal do not seem to be very confident of a win here. Only time will get to decide this one.